Sunday, March 13, 2011

Jeet Kune "Done"

Bruce Lee’s philosophies and the concepts of Jeet Kune Do have guided me in my martial arts journey but I am not a JKD practitioner. Personally I’ve found too much political conflict within that community and feel that movement has become many of the things Lee was originally against when he coined the name for his art. It’s ironic that an approach founded on the principles of evolution and freedom has become more about preserving the old and staying within the “way.”

When I train my focus is continuing Lee’s example of growth and expansion. The fact is Bruce Lee died at a young age and it’s preposterous to believe he had all the answers. Dan Inosanto has noted Lee was continuing to experiment and was evolving his “expression” up until the day he passed away. Since that time progress has been made in the field of martial arts/combative sports/self preservation and frankly I want to keep up in this modern era.

There are those whom I follow who are still part of the Jeet Kune Do universe, but they are part of the new wave of innovators in the field leading the way to new frontiers of effectiveness instead of clinging to old “dated” ways. One of the final lines in the “Tao of Jeet Kune Do” talked about leaving the boat behind after crossing the river. I left the “boat” behind long ago.

I like gyms that do not get into martial arts politics and pointless debates prevalent in those circles. I want focus on training and personal development, not talking about doing so.

Besides, as Bruce said “man is more important than any style or system.”

No comments: